What is the difference between scissors and shears? What are the different types of each? We all use these tools, sometimes on a daily basis – but while the terms are used as one, they are two different things.
Here we briefly cover everything you need to know about scissors and shears…
What is the Difference between Scissors and Shears?
Scissors and shears are indeed very similar.
- Scissors have equally-sized holes for fingers and these are symmetrical. They usually have a blade length of less than six inches. These accommodate the thumb and a single finger.
- Shears have a small finger hole as well as a larger finger hole. They are also usually longer than six inches when it comes to blade length. These accommodate the thumb and three or four fingers.
What Types of Scissors and Shears are available?
The various types of scissors and shears include:
- Household scissors & shears
- Electrician scissors & shears
- Kevlar shears
- Manicure scissors
- Hair scissors
- Moustache trimmers
- Gardening shears & pruners
- Craft scissors & shears
- Sewing scissors & shears
- Pinking shears
- Embroidery scissors
- Wire cutters
- Nail clippers
- Bent scissors & shears
- Offset scissors & shears
- Multipurpose shears
Bent scissors and shears have the handles placed at an angle from the blades. Straight shears and scissors have the handles aligned with the blades.
Trimmers have generally shorter blades which are very thin and tapered at the point. Pinking shears are used for sewing purposes and cutting fabric – the blade is zigzagged in a saw-tooth pattern. Tailor’s shears have heavy blades for cutting thick fabrics; these are bent while sewing scissors are straight.
Electrician shears are made to cut through cabling and wire. Kevlar shears easily cut through Kevlar thread material. Multipurpose scissors are suitable for an array of applications and are a great all-in-one tool.
Vampire Tools is very pleased to be able to offer a great range of the very best scissors and shears on the market. From Super Combo Scissors to Electricians’ Scissors and Fiber-Optic Kevlar Shears, our product quality is second to none and our tools are perfect for both household and trade use. For the most durable scissors and shears, choose Vampire Tools today.